Living by His Grace

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Therese in the footsteps of the saint


Marie Therese turns 15 today. She's named after St Therese of Lisieux, and seems to have inherited some of the saint's characteristics.

According to the website of the Society of the Little Flower she was precocious and sensitive and needed a lot of attention. (Yes, that sounds like my own Therese.) Also, Saint Therese, after an experience that changed her at the age of 14 years, turned her energy and spirit "toward love, instead of keeping herself happy."

This reminds me of a conversation I had with my Therese recently. She was telling me how sad it was that youth nowadays are being taught to help others because helping others will make them (the youth) happy.

"What's wrong with that?" you may be asking.

While it's true that helping others brings with it a warm fuzzy feeling, surely the motivation to help should not come from the selfish desire to achieve that warm fuzzy feeling. There will be times when that warm fuzzy feeling may not come, and then you are left regretting the waste of effort or resources. Also, if you help others only to gain something for yourself, you are not likely to help others when there is a cost to oneself greater than the potential gain.

I know I'm not explaining very well, just ponder it yourself. At least I know that my Therese has got it right, and in her own little ways, makes little sacrifices to make life better for others, even if they don't make her happy. 
 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment