Living by His Grace

Sunday, December 26, 2010

I'm religious

This Christmas, the department I belong in at work had "exchange gifts." 
Each of us picked one person to give a gift to, with the instruction that we were to give a gift which represented that person.
Although we are a small group, we are all pretty obsessed with work and don't socialize much. Meaning to say, we don't know each other that well even if we work together more than eight hours a day, Monday to Friday. 
In terms of giving a gift, I happened to pick someone who always has new shoes, so I gave her a shoe organizer. Something that represented her in what may be said was a very superficial way, but it is useful, so there.
When it came to receiving a gift, though, I got a surprise. It turns out that my teammates think of me as someone religious. 
Gee, I was expecting that they think I'm condescending and insulting and mean and nasty -- having been given reason to think that that is how they feel -- but religious? Where did that come from?
Hmmm, maybe from my sharing stuff about saints on Facebook and attending mass during lunch break? 
On second thought, being religious does not contradict being condescending and insulting ... maybe it even goes with it, for those who think badly of religion and think religious people are self-righteous.
Oh, but I was very happy with the gift. It was a plaster cross with praying hands and the words "Pray, it works."
So I guess I am religious after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment